Tuesday, December 13, 2005

The Firm by John Grisham


Author: John Grisham
ISBN # 0099830000
490 pages

Mitch is fresh out of Harvard Law after qualifying 3rd in his class & is snapped up by a small but well respected firm who offer him the deal of his dreams – a huge wage, a new BMW, a low-cost mortgage. All his hard work seems to be paying off as he submerses himself in his new career. But Mitch has forgotten one important thing - if something seems too good to be true, chances are it is...

This is only the 2nd Grisham I’ve read & I was not disappointed – the same intelligence I found in The Runaway Jury is displayed in this story & leads me to believe that pretty much all of his work will be this good. Yes, again I saw the film first (the reason I was attracted to the book in the first place) and the book outdoes itself!

The plot is gripping, the characters are sympathetic & engaging, the writing is superb. There’s not much else you could ask for in a book – this delivers on every level & left me feeling intensely satisfied when I was done (almost like finishing a good meal with a fine bottle of wine). It’s a well-thought-out page-turner & has helped hook me, well & truly, on courtroom dramas.

I’ll most definitely be getting my mitts on more of Grisham’s work.

Rating: 8/10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home