Wednesday, January 31, 2007

James Flint – Master of the Storm (Audio)













Title: Master of the Storm

Author: James Flint

Narrator: Forbes Masson

Publisher: www.bmw-audiobooks.com with Random House

First Published: 2006

Running time: 1 hr 2 min 22 sec

Format: Audio Book (short story)

Rating: 7/10

Synopsis:
This is the story of a man who finds himself arriving at exactly the same service station over and over again. He leaves, he drives away, but every time he tries to exit the motorway he discovers that he’s back in the same Happy Break. Who is he? Where has he come from? What is he running from? What exactly damaged the wing in his car while he was tuning the radio? And who is the hitchhiker he stops to pick up?

Review:
Narrated by Forbes Masson, who's delightfully animated Scottish burr is perfectly suited to storytelling! Master of the Storm has an odd approach - the listener is the protagonist ("You are driving along the highway..."), which is something I never would have thought I'd enjoy, but it really works with this story. I found I could hardly wait to find out what happened next as I felt so involved.

The end was pretty obvious, but that was part of the charm in this case, as the whole story has its roots in modern Urban Legends, so throughout the telling, you're working one step ahead of the character, taking things to the logical (or illogical) conclusion and giving yourself a little "high five" when you turn out to be right. This was a very enjoyable listening experience.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ben S said...

Where can I find the story to hear it? I listened to it back in 2007 and want to recommend it to a friend Thanks, Ben

9:20 am  
Blogger Kell Smurthwaite said...

I'm sorry, I haven't a clue where you would get it now, unless you could get it from your local library, As you can see from the date the review was posted, I listened to this back in 2007 too. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

12:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home