Monday, July 25, 2005

Witch Child by Celia Rees

Author: Celia Rees
ISBN # 0747550093
235 pages

Every now & then I like to read a book that's supposedly been written for children. I'd seen this one on the bookshelves for some time & it caught my interest. I finally bought it at the weekend & I'm so glad I did! This is not a book specifically for children at all, but one that can be enjoyed by readers of any age.

Set in the 1600's & written in diary form, Witch Child charts the journey of Mary, a Warwickshire lass who is orphaned when her only living relative, her grandmother, is executed as a Witch. Packed onto a ship with Puritans, she makes her way to the New World to settle in Beulah, a small town not far from Salem, Massachusetts. Mary's wildness & natural ease in the forest set her apart from the rest of the town & it isn't long before she is in danger of being accused of Witchcraft herself.

I was blown away by how well written this book is & will certainly get hold of the sequel, Sorceress.

Rating: 8/10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home