Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde

Author: Jasper Fforde
ISBN # 0340897104
Publisher: Hodder
First Published: 2005
398 pages

The Blurb:
It's Easter in Reading - a bad time for eggs - and no one can remember the last sunny day. Humpty Dumpty, well-known nursery favourite, large egg, ex-convict and former millionaire philanthropist is found shattered beneath a wall in a shabby area of town. Following the pathologist's careful reconstruction of Humpty's shell, Detective Inspector Jack Spratt and his Sergeant Mary Mary are soon grappling with a sinister plot involving cross-border money laundering, the illegal Bearnaise sauce market, corporate politics and the cut and thrust world of international Chiropody. As Jack and Mary stumble around the streets of Reading in Jack's Lime Green Austin Allegro, the clues pile up, but Jack has his own problems to deal with. And on top of everything else, the Jellyman is coming to town...

Review:
I’d been avoiding Jasper Fforde because someone had stupidly said “If you like Terry Pratchett, you’ll love Jasper Fforde,” and the last time that happened, I had the terrible Tom Holt inflicted upon me – my eyes may never forgive me for that. However, I’d been hearing about the new Nursery Crime Division series and it intrigued me, so I thought I’d give it a bash.

Not only does this adhere to the quaintness of fairytales, it really does work as a whodunnit! I don’t think I’ve laughed so hard this year as I did while I was reading this book. It’s cleverly written with an intricate plot and wonderfully warm characters that seem like old friends, but have been painted with a modern brush and brought into the real world. This is something quirky, fun and utterly original, and I can’t sing Jasper Fforde’s praises highly enough. Since I borrowed this from a very kind friend, I know I’m going to have to get my own copy and then get hold of all Fforde’s other novels (there’s a second NCD one and also the higly-acclaimed Thursday Next series) to add to my permanent collection, as I’ll be returning time and again to this one.

Rating: 8

3 Comments:

Blogger Marg said...

I am just reading the second one of these now and it is very, very good. I had read all the Thursday Next books and loved them, and was a little disappointed with The Big Over Easy, so I am relieved that I am enjoying The Fourth Bear so much.

8:23 pm  
Blogger Kailana said...

I own all the Jasper Fforde books, I have only read two of them, though. I have the third Thursday Next book on the go right now. I want to have them all finished by the time the new Thursday book comes out next year.

7:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pete's just discovered Jasper Fforde with the one set in Swindon. He was given another for his birthday and I shall read them at some point.

2:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home