Monday, May 28, 2007

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

Title: The Bell Jar
Author: Sylvia Plath

ISBN # 05710181789

Publisher: Faber & Faber

First Published: 1963

258 pages

Format: Paperback

Rating: 2/10

Synopsis:
A student from
Boston wins a guest editorship on a national magazine, and finds a new world at her feet. Her New York life is crowded with possibilities, so the choice of future is overwhelming. She is faced with the perennial problems of morality, behaviour and identity.

Review:
I found this very cold, clinical and emotionless and had great difficulty identifying with the narrator - I just didn't feel anything towards her at all. Nothing much seemed to happen and despite her month in New York, her life seemed very dull.

I got absolutely nothing out of this - it felt so disjointed and I felt it had very little flow. In a way, I'm glad she only wrote the one novel so, as I'm not into poetry, I won't feel obliged to try any more of her work. It felt like such a chore to read this and I kind of wished I'd put it down early on and given up on it – I would have done if it hadn’t been chosen for a reading circle and been so short.

Another great disappointment, which is shame really.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home