Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Harry Potter & the Philosopher's Stone by J K Rowling

Author: J K Rowling
ISBN # 0747532745
223 pages

Well, I put off reading any of the Harry Potter books for a very long time - they just didn't grab my interest. Besides, I'm a huge Artemis Fowl fan & I couldn't imagine these living up to that example.

I was right - Artemis Fowl was way better than Harry otter & the Philosopher's Stone. That doesn't mean to say this book wasn’t a really good read though! It's easily seen how J K Rowling has managed to become the highest earning woman in the country as her storytelling skills are pretty damned nifty - she spins a really good yarn. The characters are well-written & the reader can easily identify & sympathise with the characters. Even the likes of Draco Malfoy & Professor Snape are written with the same love as Harry & his friends (actually, I have to say that Snape was my favourite character & I wish there'd been more of him!).

If you've managed not to see the film - rent it out, but wait till you've finished the book. I saw the movie first & really it, but I always think it kind of ruins a book a little when you know what's coming, in a way that reading a book first does nothing to harm your enjoyment of the film.

I've no idea why that is but I think that's partially why I took so long to get round to actually reading it!

I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish & would recommend it to anyone of any age. If you haven't got hold of your own copy yet, go out & buy it now.

And while you're at it, get hold of Artemis Fowl too - you won't regret it!

Rating: 7/10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home